Thursday, April 19, 2012

Happiness as we know it

I drove my old battered scooty pep way back home, after one of those days, you know for sure could have not ended better. With music playing in my ipod, I could feel the rush in my head as I thought about the resignation letter which I handed over earlier that day, the offer letter which I had received from a good company a few days ago, the new vehicle which I had booked with my very own money. Life had the best things to offer me at that very moment. Just the thought of not having to work at that lousy office anymore made me squeal in happiness and I had a smile to offer to everyone.

Suddenly the world seemed to be a better place to live in. Rash drivers and careless pedestrians were blessed not to hear my curse as they were taken in a stride. As I made my way towards nungambakkam , traffic was lighter than usual. At the signal, I stopped the bike and changed the song to a peppy upbeat number to suit my mood.

I noticed a small little girl about the age of 5 begging on the road beside the pavement along with her brother, who looked like he was 8. The kid was so was about 2 feet tall and had to hold her brothers hand for support to climb the pavement. My heart instantly went out for the small kid. There was something so cute about her that I could not tear my eyes away. The two kids approached the auto which was beside me and the driver decided to play God that day and harshly turned them away ,not before giving the boy a tight slap and sharing his words of wisdom “ Go and earn , stop begging”. Instantly I imagined slapping that guy and saying “Stop stealing people’s money in the name of petrol hike and pls oh pls stop acting like a smartass”.

All of a sudden the little girl locked eyes with me and gave me a charming smile. I knew I would be their next target. The autowala seeing this, resumed his God’s role and said to me “Don’t encourage these kids; they have to earn for their living”. While I mentally radioed him back by saying, “F*&%^ these kids are 5 and 8, what bloody earn?”

As they approached, I took my purse out, handed a few coins to the girl and touched her cheek. She closed her eyes, pressed the coins against her cheeks, felt the coolness against her skin and smiled.
The joy which was seen in her face is unexplainable. Her proud brother gave her a tight hug and took the money from her and carefully pocketed it and gave her a coin to play with.

The signal turned green and vehicles started moving, the small boy again held the girl’s hand, crossed the road and moved away.
As I sped away seeing their little figures disappear in distance, all I could think of was “how happiness defines itself to each one of us in different ways”!!

15 comments:

HOnEY dROPS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HOnEY dROPS said...

very soulful and interesting :) loved the way you described the auto man as a God haha

Shalini said...

A good article..I believe almost all of us would have come across the same situation. It is very nice giving a shape to the thought that strikes us for a moment. Keep going Nirupama...:)

Shalini said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
vijay said...

I lived the moment. I saw it before my eyes. Nice narration :)

Especially the part when the girl keeps the coin in her cheeks to feel the coldness. That was very much innocent and nicely put :)

Unknown said...

Touchy!

As I started reading suddenly the words became a live movie in front of my eyes. Marvelously written!

S. Susan Deborah said...

Sometimes happiness comes when we aren't looking for it. A simple act f love and warmth can fill our hearts and brighten our day.

Hope you have many days which make you happy and warm.

Joy always,
Susan

G's world said...

Happiness is godliness. It takes the form of what the person believes in. Amazing way to express it. :)

G's world said...

Happiness is godliness. It takes the form of what the person believes in. Amazing way to express it. :)

Unknown said...

Happiness is subjective. Different things can make different people happy.

I could totally imagine the ecstasy of the girl on receiving the coins from you. You've beautifully brought that out in this post!


Keep blogging! Cheers! :)

vinodvv said...

Wish you had more money so that you could hand over to all the beggars you meet.

The auto guy didn't say wrong, by giving things free you are making them lazy right from early age. Instead the auto guy should have said to go and study then you would have said *# where the hell is $.

Life is not bed of roses buddy.
Think over it again.

Unknown said...

Nice one! :)

Anand said...

A very nice read indeed.. Lively.. I loved the simplistic style of writing.

Its true that happiness changes with the situation and perspective of every individual.

Hope you encounter happy moments that'll keep you upbeat all the time...

Cheers,
Anand
Life's like that

Vadapoche said...

Have got these paradigm shift moments before, for a brief moment you see the light and then routine sweeps over you.
Nice post.

Unknown said...

Such a simple and sweet incident, yet touching the most right notes :)